top of page



Property tax information is available to assist taxpayers.  This property tax information covers a wide range of topics, such as taxpayer remedies, exemptions, appraisals and is of value to select groups, such as disabled veterans and persons who are 65 years of age or older.


Whether you are a homeowner, business owner, disabled veteran or a taxpayer, it’s important you know your rights concerning the property tax laws.  You can contact the Shelby County Appraisal District about any property tax issues and they will provide you the most complete, accurate and up-to-date available information to assist you.


This includes information about the following programs:


  • Property Tax Exemptions for Disabled Veterans - The law provides partial exemptions for any property owned by veterans who are disabled, surviving spouses and surviving children of deceased disabled veterans.  This includes homesteads donated to disabled veterans by charitable organizations at no cost or not more than 50 percent of the good faith estimate of the homestead’s market value to the disabled veterans and their surviving spouses.  The exemption amount is determined according to percentage of service-connected disability.  The law also provides a 100 percent homestead exemption for 100 percent disabled veterans and their surviving spouses and for surviving spouses of U.S. armed service members killed or fatally injured in the line of duty.


  • Property Tax Exemptions - Non-profit organizations that meet statutory requirements may seek property tax exemptions and must apply to the appraisal district by a specific date.  Businesses that receive tax abatements granted by taxing units; ship inventory out of Texas that may be eligible for the freeport exemption; store certain goods in transit in warehouses that are moved within 175 days; construct, install or acquire pollution control property; own and operate energy storage systems; convert landfill-generated gas; or store offshore drilling equipment while not in use may also be eligible for statutory exemptions.


  • Rendering Taxable Property - If a business owns tangible personal property that is used to produce income, the business must file a rendition with its local county appraisal district by a specified date.  Personal property includes inventory and equipment used by a business.  Owners do not have to render exempt property such as church property or an agriculture producer’s equipment used for farming.


  • Appraisal Notices - A Notice of Appraised Value is mailed to each taxpayer in mid May.  This is the taxpayer’s opportunity to check for any discrepancies in their value, property description, address, exemptions, etc. The city, county, school districts and other local taxing units will use the appraisal district’s value to set property taxes for the coming year.


  • Property Taxpayer Remedies - This Comptroller publication explains in detail how to protest a property appraisal, what issues the county appraisal review board (ARB) can consider and what to expect during a protest hearing.  The publication also discusses the option to request limited binding arbitration to compel the ARB or chief appraiser to comply with a procedural requirement and the options of taking a taxpayer’s case to district court, the State Office of Administrative Hearings or binding arbitration if the taxpayer is dissatisfied with the outcome of the ARB hearing.


  • Homestead Exemptions - A homestead is generally defined as the home and land used as the owner’s principal residence on January 1 of the tax year.  A homestead exemption reduces the appraised value of the home and, as a result, lowers property taxes.  Applications are submitted to the appraisal district.


  • Productivity Appraisal - Property owners who use land for timberland production, agricultural purposes or wildlife management can be granted property tax relief on their land.  They may apply to the appraisal district for an agricultural appraisal which may result in a lower appraisal of the land based on how much the taxpayer produces, versus what the land would sell for in the open market.


  • Residence Homestead Tax Deferral - Texas homeowners may postpone paying the currently delinquent property taxes due on the appreciating value of their homes by filing a tax deferral affidavit at the appraisal district.  This tax relief allows homeowners to pay the property taxes on 105 percent of the preceding year’s appraised value of their homestead, plus the taxes on any new improvements to the homestead.  The deferral postpones the remaining taxes, with interest accruing at 8 percent per year but does not cancel them.


  • Property Tax Deferral for Persons Age 65 or Older and Disabled Homeowners - Texans who are 65 years of age or older, or who are disabled as defined by law, may postpone paying current and delinquent property taxes on their homes by signing a tax deferral affidavit.  Once the affidavit is on file, taxes are deferred, but not cancelled, as long as the owner continues to own and live in the home.  Interest continues to accrue at 5 percent per year on the unpaid taxes.  You may obtain a deferral affidavit at the appraisal district.


  • Notice of Availability of Electronic Communication - Chief appraisers of a county appraisal district and appraisal review boards may communicate electronically through email or other media with property owners or their designated representatives.  Written agreements are required for notices and other documents to be delivered electronically in place of mailing.


  • Protesting Property Appraisal Values – Property owners who disagree with the appraisal district’s appraisal of their property for local taxes or for any other action that adversely affects them may protest their property value to the appraisal district’s appraisal review board.


  • Informal Meetings – Property owners can request an informal meeting with appraisal district staff to try and resolve their disputes prior to attending ARB hearings.


For more information about these programs, contact the Shelby County Appraisal District at (936) 598-6171.  More information is also available from the state Comptroller’s Property Tax Assistance Division website at

bottom of page